THE ROMAN CHALLENGE 2014 WILL TAKE PLACE ON
SUNDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER
SOME IMPORTANT POINTS
- The booking site will be open from 1st May 2014 for the annual Roman Challenge mountain bike ride through Salcey Forest and the surrounding Northamptonshire countryside.
- Organiser – Mrs Barbara Treagus, you can contact for information by phone or email. Tel 01604 870515
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is a choice of 3 routes (plus an extension on the Gladiator route) to suit all abilities. The start and finish points are at the Hackleton Village Hall, Chapel Lane, Hackleton, NN7 2AH.
- Please read the Health and Safety page before you book.
- Registration starts at 8am.
Click here for location of start/finish points.
- Prices - Adults £15 and children age 5-16yrs £5 before 21st Sept. Bookings after this date or on the day will be £25 - no refunds available.
- When you book please make sure we have your email address or we will not be able to contact you with further information.
- All riders are expected to be considerate to pedestrians and horse riders, respect farms/livestock and private property, remain on designated tracks and follow the Highway and Countryside Code. Children must wear safety helmets, and be accompanied by an adult.
- BOOK EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT. Due to constraints with car parking and the capacity of the village hall, we are limited to the number of riders we can book, and have had to turn away riders in the past, so don’t miss out, book early.
- Bookings will close when our our maximum numbers are reached.
ABOUT THE ROMAN CHALLENGE
2014 will be the 9th Roman Challenge cycle event. It has been a great success story with around 250 people riding it each year. We are pleased that the vast majority of riders have a great day and thoroughly enjoyed the lunch, especially the cakes. It has been suggested we do it twice a year!!!!
The event is organised by the Hackleton & District Women’s Institute to raise funds and to donate to our local community. To date we have donated £12,000 towards building work and improvements to the Hackleton Village Hall where you start and finish your ride.
The Roman Challenge is not a race, it is a personal challenge. Some participants try to improve on the time of their previous years ride, though this of course depends on the weather and condition of the tracks. some riders obtain their own sponsors to donate money to their own charity.
All we hope is that you enjoy it!
WHY THE ROMAN CHALLENGE
Because in Piddington there is the site of a Roman Villa, and you will pass through the village at the beginning and end of the ride. Soon after the roman conquest of Britain, which began in AD 43 there was a military presence in Piddington. In the 1st century, a timber villa was built, followed later by one built of stone. The site of the villa has been under excavation for 30 years and many of the finds are displayed in a museum housed in the old Wesleyan Chapel in Piddington.
If you would like to visit, it is open on Sunday afternoons 2-4pm.
Click here to open link to the Museum web site.
It’s worth the challenge to return to the hall for our fabulous Ploughman’s and home baked WI cakes, tea or coffee. This is included in the entry fee. Non participants can purchase refreshments for £8.
Refreshments will be available from 11. 45am to 4pm. We vacate the hall at 5pm.
There are refreshments stops en route, one for the Chariots and two for Gladiators.
If you have any special dietary requirements please inform Barbara at email@example.com
CAR PARKING – All parking is at your own risk.
- The car parks are in two fields adjacent to the village hall.
- In the event of heavy rain, alternative parking may be used on the other (uphill) side of the main road. If this is required there will be signs to direct you.
- WE OPERATE A ONE WAY SYSTEM IN THE LANE LEADING TO THE HALL FOR THE SAFETY OF RIDERS, PLEASE FOLLOW THE SIGNS AND THE DIRECTIONS OF THE MARSHALS.
- PLEASE ENSURE ALL CARS ARE REMOVED FROM THE CAR PARKS BY 5 pm WHEN THE GATES OF THE FIELDS WILL BE LOCKED. If you are delayed for any reason it is important you let us know.
The emergency number is on your map
updated April 2014